Monday, June 8, 2009

Miranda and Wendy (extract part one...)

ALL THAT HAPPENED AFTER...

Los Angeles, July 2009...

"What the fuck was that all about?" Miranda said, standing and suddenly kicking her chair away.
The woman she's swearing at stepped back, giving herself a little more room,
"It's called a divorce." She said.
"Hey! Well fuck me! It's not as if I never did a divorce case before. Are you fucking selling me short Wendy?"
"No I'm not. You know the ground rules and about the pre nup."
Miranda shook her head and sighed, "The fucking pre nup! Why didn't anyone think to let me know about that before? I go right in there and try and help this guy out and it feels like I just got fucked!"
"Not by me Miranda, I think you're taking this out on me. The case file was on your desk, you should've fucking looked at it!"
"I fucking did!" Miranda replied, almost shouting.
"So when did you miss that part? It's the first thing you'd have seen. Open his file and there it is in black and fucking white!"
"It was not in my file. I'd have fucking seen it. Someone playinng fucking games with me?"
Wendy walked towards Miranda, "We can reschedule for Tuesday, go at this again." She said, her voice is so much softer now.
Miranda scratched at her forehead, "Okay let's do that and get me the fucking file, I want to see that pre nup. If this pile of shit costs me a dime, I'm gonna kill someone!"
Wendy stood near the door, "Do you want a coffee?"
"Yeah, extra cream and sugar, I need the buzz." Miranda said.
She then walked to the windows and looked down, hands on the glass and slowly her breathing returned to normal.
"Wendy I'm sorry. I wasn't taking this out on you."
"I know," Wendy replied, "just one of those things I guess."
Miranda nodded, "Yeah, one of those things."
"Is there something distracting you?" Wendy asked.
Miranda looked back at her, "Not something. Someone." She said.
Wendy looked surprised, "Oh?"
"Yeah, I didn't think about it but it happened anyway."
"Do you want to tell me?"
Miranda turned from the window, looking at Wendy who had stayed by the door,
"Yeah, me and you. I'm not sure if this is going to work."
"Why not?"
"Because I'm in love with you and it just feels like all we're doing is fighting. I don't want that. I just want to be in love and not do this shit. It's not healthy."
Wendy stepped away from the door, "So what do you want to do?" She asked.
"I spoke to Jefferson yesterday, There's an opening in Denver. I might take it up."
Wendy looked horrified, "Denver? What the fuck do you want to go there for? That's a dead end, Miranda please don't."
"I think it's a little late for that. I said I'd take a look."
"So you'll just fuck off and leave me here? Thank you so much! I must be so fucking stupid!" Wendy said, stopping anymore steps and looking back at the door.
"I might not go Wendy, it's something I'm thinking about, that's all."
"No it isn't," Wendy said, "if that's all it is then you would have said something Miranda, not leaving all this shit like this!"
"I'm not leaving anything! Now, can I have the correct Peterson file and that coffee?"
Wendy almost tore the door from its hinges. Miranda looked on as Wendy stormed off.
Oh that went so well, didn't it? She thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment